Started Jun 24, 2009 | Discussions thread
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,651Gear list
Like?
p. 321-330 of the 5D III instructions
In reply to Martin717, Jan 31, 2013

Martin717 wrote:

Severian The Lame wrote:

(...) But it's simply not true that auto AE lock is not documented. It's better to say that it's not well documented. It is addressed in the "Specifications" section of the manual (pick any manual from the first Rebel to the 1D-X) by a single slim paragraph:

"AE lock: Auto: With One-Shot AF and evaluative metering, AE Lock is applied when focus is achieved. Manual: By AE Lock button." And the former stays locked only as long as focus is locked via pressing and holding the AF-On button or half-pressing the shutter release.

Thank you, Severian The Lame, this is the first helpful answer for me in the whole discussion!

Not even Canon's support in Switzerland knew this part of the manual. I now see that the function is explained - albeit deeply hidden.

(And of course I dislike this implementation very much. I want to lock focus and exposure, then recompose and take the picture - without having to press * before.)

You can configure the 5D III to your liking.  Specifically p. 322 and 326.  AEL can be assigned to 1/2 press of the shutter button.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
235New
BeeNew
OffNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow