What 35mm f1.4 to f1.8 lenses would you recommend?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
RGBaker
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
Re: What 35mm f1.4 to f1.8 lenses would you recommend?
In reply to blakninja, Jan 31, 2013

Well, I think in your price range you'll be restricted to one of the fast 50mm legacy lenses.  I have and like the Canon FDn 50mm f1.4 -- it is reasonably light, remarkably sharp, and affordable.  There are many similar options from other legacy manufacturers.  You can save a few dollars by opting for an f1.8 or f2.0 lens -- they won't deliver quite the shalllow DOF (and so bokeh, which is I guess what you mean by 'blur') but in truth they will probably work just fine in a typical shot.
Wider than 50mm you will have options like 40mm at a similar price, but as wide as 35mm and as fast as f2.0 prices will increase dramatically, nearer to $200 -- faster than f2.0 and you are looking at prices higher again.
You'll see a couple of examples in my Flickr samples below -- note that you'll need a little distance from your subject to get a full body with a 50mm.
Cheers,
GB

RGBaker's gear list:RGBaker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow