1Dx or 5D mark 3

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Questions thread
XeroJay
Contributing MemberPosts: 952Gear list
Like?
Re: 1Dx or 5D mark 3
In reply to FGS, Jan 31, 2013

I have both and shoot weddings. The 5D3 is pretty much as good in most practical aspects, though the 1DX does feel quite a bit snappier and stays a bit cleaner at high iso. The 5DIII was initially going to be my backup, but it's so good that I use it sometimes for engagement shoots over the 1DX, and even during quiet ceremonies for the silent shutter.

On the other hand, the 85mm 1.2 is brutally slow on the 5D3 (same as the 5D2), and about two or three times faster to focus on the 1DX. Since I use the 85 1.5 a lot, I wouldn't want to go without the 1DX.

I've also noticed that the 5D3 is actually able to focus in lower light than the 1DX without using the AF assist. I don't know why this is, but for some reason in VERY low light the 5D3 and 1DX are about equal in One Shot AF, but the 5D3 is actually BETTER in servo, whereas the 1DX becomes worse. Again, this is only in that REALLY low light threshold situation.

-- hide signature --

If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow