REALLY wanna jump into Sigma, but what about a decent RAW workflow?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Scott Greiff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568Gear list
Like?
Re: REALLY wanna jump into Sigma, but what about a decent RAW workflow?
In reply to marcio_napoli, Jan 31, 2013

marcio_napoli wrote:

Hi !

Hi!

(I use Camera RAW)

For example, I once saw the suggestion of batch processing in SSP as 16bit TIFF, and then open in Camera RAW for further enhancements.

But I have my doubts:

1. SPP comes free, bundled with the camera?

It does come with the camera and is available for public download.

2. Do I really have to batch process as 16 bit? Don't wanna donate so much money to HD makers... Will 8 bit do it ?

I'm not quite sure. I always output to 16-bit TIFF. I've always justified this to myself in terms that 8-bit would just end up being uncompressed JPEG quality and you really need more than 8-bits of information to approach what is available in the RAW files.

3. Now something I've never tried before and need your help: when I open those exported TIFFs in Camera RAW, will they have the same latitude as real RAWs ?

Again, I think you would have to export to 16-bit TIFF in order to get the same latitude as you would get in the RAW files.

Highlight recovery is very important in my workflow...

One idea is to dump everything out as 8-bit, to save space as you say, and then use SPP to recover highlights for those images that are specifically problematic.

If anyone can provide me a good workflow, I'm heading to Sigma land !

My workflow consists of batch processing to 16-bit TIFF out of SPP and then import those into Aperture.

-Scott

Scott Greiff's gear list:Scott Greiff's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow