REALLY wanna jump into Sigma, but what about a decent RAW workflow?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
marcio_napoli
Contributing MemberPosts: 828
Like?
REALLY wanna jump into Sigma, but what about a decent RAW workflow?
Jan 31, 2013

Hi !

I really need some help here, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I shoot fashion, currently with a Nikon D700 and a Leaf Aptus digital back.

Love both, specially the IQ of the digital back, and my D700 is getting long in the tooth.

I was planning to buy a D800, but talking about image quality (and IQ alone), in my opinion, nothing comes close to the Foveon look (well, except for digital backs).

Just LOVE the Foveon look, and the depth of color that comes from it. It's the best look in the business.

So, if I could find a proper way to process Sigma's RAWs, I would forget about the D800 and go for the SD1 Merril without a second thought.

But that's what is holding me back...   can anyone point me a proper workflow?

(I use Camera RAW)

For example, I once saw the suggestion of batch processing in SSP as 16bit TIFF, and then open in Camera RAW for further enhancements.

But I have my doubts:

1.  SPP comes free, bundled with the camera?

2. Do I really have to batch process as 16 bit? Don't wanna donate so much money to HD makers...  Will 8 bit do it ?

3. Now something I've never tried before and need your help: when I open those exported TIFFs in Camera RAW, will they have the same latitude as real RAWs ?

Specially in the highlights. Will the ability to recover be preserved ? (as much highlight info as a native RAWs) ?

What about 8 bit TIFF? Will it do ?

Highlight recovery is very important in my workflow...

If anyone can provide me a good workflow, I'm heading to Sigma land !

Thanks a lot in advance

PS: I'm too used to Camera RAW, so I won't learn other converters... even in SPP, I just plan to open the files, and batch process them out.

All processing will be done in Camera RAW.

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow