Re: Canon Financial Statement for 2012
In reply to Doug J, Jan 31, 2013

Doug J wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Doug J wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

David Hull wrote:

Ramesh wrote:

Canon is still making profit but it is significantly reduced. How long it will continue to be profitable if they don't upgrade their sensor technology is anybody's guess.

http://www.canon.com/ir/results/2012/rslt2012e.pdf

-- hide signature --

rr

Did you even bother to read the report prior to posting this comment? On page 3, under the heading results by segment, they comment that cameras are doing relatively well with revenue from that segment being UP by 7.2% and profit being relatively unchanged. The report would seem to indicate that the Imaging segment is the one segment that they are doing well in.

I doubt that (outside of a few pixel peeping camera geeks that hang out on a few internet forums) the vast majority of people purchasing this gear are even aware that there are differences in the various sensor implementations and what the implications of these implementation differences are.

I'd hate for the guy I'm hiring to shoot my kid's wedding to admit this.

Interesting. You select a pro wedding photog based on the sensor(s) used in the camera(s)? Any other criteria?

Well yeah. In part. I'd also want to know the rest of the equipment he plans to use. You wouldn't? If he plans to bring his scuffed up 40D and 28-135, I'm looking elsewhere.

Reread your post and mine, it was about the sensor. it's interesting that your only apparent consideration for selecting a pro wedding photog is the sensor in his camera, and not what he produces.

Read again. Unless you and the rest who are responding are being purposely argumentative and contrary which seems very likely, and I was directly responding to someone who appeared to be insulting half the forum while probably owning the most recent products from Canon himself, I don't see how anyone with a command of the English language can draw this conclusion. Evaluating equipment would be one criteria. I personally would know what he can and cannot do with the equipment. I didn't say or intend to imply that every grunt off the street who doesn't know the difference between a DSLR and a compact is going to quiz or needs to quiz a wedding Photog about his sensors.

But if we are debating simply for debating's sake, it is not likely tnat the level of talent of anyone brandishing outdated equipment could not be matched by someone equally talented if not more (presumably earning enough money to stay current), thoughtful enough and having enough pride in his work to use the best equipment available. At least in my area, there is plenty of choice.

This way over hyped sensor difference amounts to roughly a 4x increase in noise in the deep shadows (and then only if you are shooting at base ISO). Outside of DxO style measurements and some specially concocted test scenarios specifically designed to demonstrate the differences the images produced by these cameras are virtually indistinguishable.

I definitely wouldn't recommend that you look at Sony's results, it might lead you to think that their sensors really stink since they have hemorrhaging money for the last few years.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow