DIY tracking mount..

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
RustierOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,687Gear list
Like?
Re: DIY tracking mount..
In reply to harry cannoli, Jan 31, 2013

harry cannoli wrote:

Years and years ago I picked up a cheap 4.5" Newtonian. IQ was quite poor, I quickly tired of it. I tired of it, but I never threw it away, I put in storage (outside storage). The mount still worked, but the motor and electronics were fried. I removed the motor, disassembled and cleaned it. Once I did that I tested it, it worked. Woo Yay..

Getting this thing to work is a good project. I've had nothing but cloudy skies for the past ten days. Nothing better to do.

Here's as far as I've gotten..

Here's what's next..

• Properly mount pan/tilt head
  • Place mount on camera tripod
  • Grab some stuff from my junk drawer (junk room) and put together battery operated, adjustable, regulated power supply.
  • If motor doesn't cut it, replace with stepper (more torque, tighter control).
I've been running this for several hours, so far no problems. I also have the counterweight, if I need it.
So what do you guys think? Does this contraption have any chance of actually working?

If it moves the camera it's got to be better than on a fixed tripod. Of course getting the drive rate right and axis polar aligned will improve the results. Looks like a good cloudy month project.
-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow