Canon 24-70 L version 1

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
trulandphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 534Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 24-70 L version 1
In reply to dogcow23, Jan 31, 2013

dogcow23 wrote:

a good copy of version 1 is still a great lens, and if you need a lens in that range then its a bargain for under 1k.

After upgrading here's the difference to me imho:

v1 was soft from mid to long distance (v2 is sharp, at any distance and at any focal length). And most importantly at 2.8 v2 is tack sharp with lots of detail, my v1 was really only sharp at 2.8 when the subject was close i.e. within 2-3 meters.

v1 is quite heft of a lens, it was very front heavy (v2 is more compact, a bit lighter but much more balanced when hand holding)

Most users have been raving on about v2 and I didn't think it was that good, but after using it I can understand why. The newer lens design is just that much better than the old lens. Of course we are all bound by the $, so only you can decide if its worth it.

One thing I like about the older design is the way the barrel extends inside the shade. It provides a lot of shading at 70mm and protects the extended barrel from knocks.

How do you find the newer design?

trulandphoto's gear list:trulandphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow