x100 now or x100S on Feb 18th?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?
Re: Hang on for a bit
In reply to sibyy, Jan 31, 2013

sibyy wrote:

To put things into perspective, you can buy the X100 for a little over the price of a the upcoming X20. In fact the X100 is just a bit more expensive than the RX100. Now which is the better camera?

IMHO the X100 going for around £500-600 in the UK right now is an incredible bargain. The X100S is twice that price but I'm sure not twice as good.
Wouldn't you spend £500 just for the amazing lens of the X100?

I'm keeping my X100 at least as a backup camera.

I think it's fine to decide that all one needs is the X100, I acknowledge its a good camera (and I've written several blog posts on the topic). My point is just that I can see a lot of X100 being ditched as soon as the X100S is released, which will move the new and used price significantly. Because of that I wouldn't want to buy a new X100 right now.

Fuji has been very clever to retain the exact same body IMHO - I probably wouldn't have bothered to upgrade if I couldn't use all my existing accessories on it. As I can, and I should have a couple of quid floating around from the X100 + NEX-7 + Zeiss 24 that I am or will be unloading, it's a no brainer.

As to the point about cost, there is always going to be a law of diminishing returns on more expensive photography gear - I'm not sure a Summilux 35 (or 50 for that matter) is 5-6 times better than the XF 35 having used all 3. All I can say is that if I could get X-Pro1 like IQ with a X100 body that's a lot more attractive to me than remaining with the X100.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow