Upgrading to CS6

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,366Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrading to CS6
In reply to santamonica812, Jan 31, 2013

Keep your layered file. Hit"save as" instead of 'save' and **rename** the file immediately. (I'd suggest using the original name plus "-flat"). That's what I do with my multi-multi-layered files. Now that you have 2 identical files (both with all those layers, go ahead and flatten the one with 'flat' in the name. Impossible to screw up, and the only downside is the marginal extra space on the hard drive (for both you and me, this is no issue at all...memory is now dirt-cheap).

Perhaps easier to just hit Duplicate when in PS. There is a "flatten layers" option to this. This routine means you never use the Layers / Flatten command on any live image and therefore can never ever do so in error to the wrong image version. It always results in a new copy image document separate from what you had open before.

Print, there may even be no need to save. Or if you do wish to save (perhaps after print-specific sharpening, cropping etc) then even a high-quality JPG used just for that purpose - not for any further editing - will likely be indistinguishable in the output; and impossible to confuse with any master, layered, PSD or TIFF. This print-file can be named for the particular printing size etc it has been specifically tuned for.

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow