Am I able to do shallow DoF with RX100?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Andrew Butterfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,435Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I able to do shallow DOF with RX100?
In reply to Stephen McDonald, Jan 31, 2013

I would love to see examples of this "main problem."

An objective observer would have no trouble in finding many examples. But many RX100 lovers seem unable to perceive such flaws, which is why so many of their photos turn out poorly. A few people have figured out how to manage both the RX models and have posted very nice photos from them. And all of the right parts of them are in focus. See if you can determine which of these people can do this and study the EXIF of their photos

I agree. You could argue that the RX100 falls between two stools rather awkwardly in this respect. It neither gives you the differential focus options you really want, nor the ability to stick it on P mode and shoot merrily away in any situation without having to worry about what's going to be in focus.

I originally thought it might be the camera for a friend who goes to great places and has a great eye, but knows nothing about photographic technique and doesn't want to learn. He would get poor results from the RX100 and he wouldn't understand why.

But if you know what you're doing, you can use what DOF control you do have to your advantage in limited situations.

-- hide signature --
 Andrew Butterfield's gear list:Andrew Butterfield's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow