* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 249 January/30/2013 *

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,687
Like?
Re: Sea and Sky
In reply to BigMacIain, Jan 31, 2013

BigMacIain wrote:

I posted this elsewhere but thought I'd share it here, for some C&C.

It's a vertical pano; meaning that I shot from bottom to top rather than left to right. I wanted to capture all that I could see in my own field of vision but the wide-angle was making the scene look to distant. So I thought I'd try this approach. The shots were taken with my E-520 and 12-60 at 32mm. What do you think?

I am a big fan of vertical (portrait) orientation for compressed landscape shooting.

A vertical pano is also a possiblity.

This one is quite minimalist, with a ratio sea/sky that is really flirting with what is still pleasing to the eye.  It does help that there are some nice clouds just above the horizon : they help adding some relative weight to the bottom part, for balance with the bigger top part.  Clouds and sea together form a visual part sufficiently significant to make the image balanced.  Sea alone would not have done that.

The more streaky clouds in the darker sky above, add some texture in what else would be boring blue.  The transition in brightness does the rest.

I really don't see anything wrong here : it is daring in its minimalism and it works very well.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow