RX100 & HX20V/30V Movie Mode

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,942
Like?
Re: RX100 & HX20V/30V Movie Mode
In reply to manoktot, Jan 31, 2013

manoktot wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Too bad about the full manual while shooting video.
I'm suprised by your 2nd statement though, I thought that the smaller sensor would not have had an advantage over the 1-inch sensor on the RX100. And to think I bought the HX20 purely because for good quality video. Would you happen to have an example (either youtube, vimeo or direct upload) of the problem with the RX100? I was curious how bad it is.
Stephen McDonald wrote:

There is no manual video shutter/ISO/aperture control on the Sony HX-Series models. Maybe there will be in the coming year's new models.

In fact, you can get better video with the HX20 than with the RX100. Partly because of the much longer zoom range and also because the smaller sensor size eliminates the skew and stuttering when panning and following fast-moving subjects. If you put any of the last two year's HX-Series cameras into 60p mode, these glitches do not occur, but are a problem with the RX100.

You don't see many examples of video skew and stutter from the RX100, because not many videos are shot or posted from it. Due to its short zoom range, its not very practical for videos of things like sports and wildlife. Some of the professionals who have presented videos from it elsewhere, were very careful to pan slowly or not at all, so as not to reveal what the larger CMOS does with a moving field of view.

The larger sensor also reduces the depth-of-field. For photos, many people desire this, but for many videos, it's not so good. For the videos I shoot, I want everything in view to be in focus. I only rarely want my videos to have "artistic" qualities. I'm most often interested in showing what's there, as sharply and completely as I can. Most video cameras, even ones used for broadcast TV, have sensors no larger than the 2/3-inch type-size, which actually measure less than 1/2-inch diagonally, in their active areas.

To my surprise, I found that the new Panasonic M 4/3 camera, the GH3, does not show skew and stutter in its 60p video, when panning or with fast motion. Its sensor is .87-inch diagonally and this demonstrates that with advanced CMOS and processing technology, this problem can be defeated. If you have about $3,000. to $3,500. to spend for this model and a set of good lenses, you can get excellent photos and long-range video. It even has a 60p MOV mode, using 50 Mbps and a cinematic 24P mode, using 72 Mbps. But yet, there is a doubt it could equal a Sony HX camera for quick video autofocus and tight focus tracking. You'd have a tough time finding as much video performance for the price, with anything else than the HX-Series.

Regarding the lack of manual video controls on the HX20, I haven't missed these much on my HX200V, although its video EV adjustment is very useful. The main use I'd have for manual video shutter control, is for keeping it no faster than 1/60th-sec., for flying birds. You didn't make a bad choice, getting the HX20 for video purposes.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album
My Places on Google Earth Click on My Places on Skydrive

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow