Panasonic DMC-G3 with 14-140: is the built-in flash usable?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jonathanj
Regular MemberPosts: 473Gear list
Like?
Panasonic DMC-G3 with 14-140: is the built-in flash usable?
Jan 31, 2013

Hi all,

A friend is looking for a camera and after checking out a number of options, has almost settled on a panasonic g3 and 14-140 combination, with an eye to potentially upgrading the body later (e.g. 6 months after the next OM-D is released and the price of the EM-5 has dropped), but having a good general purpose lens that will last a long time and means she won't need to change lenses on a regular basis while she gets used to a more advanced camera (she's upgrading from a point and shoot - but wants good manual controls for better and easier control of her photos).

Anyway, I suddenly wondered whether the built-in flash will be useable with this lens, or is it large enough to block the flash when used at short distances? If so, how short a distance? I've noticed this with my camera (samsung nx20) when using an 18-200mm lens -  I just use a shorter lens, but she will only have the 14-140 so won't have that option.

Anyone have this combination who can help?

jonathanj's gear list:jonathanj's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Samsung NX20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow