SSD drive for my photos - it's worth it, right?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?
Re: SSD drive for my photos - it's worth it, right?
In reply to OntarioJohn, Jan 31, 2013

OntarioJohn wrote:

There are faster hard drives, but first max the memory, set up your hard drive partitions, defrag your drive(s), and check your swap space. Look for fast hard drives at newegg or tiger direct.

System RAM is important, the more the better (assuming 64 bit OS).

The only reservation I have about your suggestion is the last sentence.  Whenever possible I try to source my hard drives locally now.  It's actually the only item I don't order online anymore.  I must have purchased hundreds of these in my lifetime (either for myself or system builds) and I've literally only ever had drives fail that were bought online.  I suspect shipping is just rough and takes a toll.  If they're not outright DOA they fail prematurely.  Of course it isn't all drives ordered online, but it's still higher than it should be IMO.

My worst luck is with Seagate; best luck with Western Digital and Hitachi.  Old Samsung used to be good, but now that their hard drive division was bought by Seagate, I have my doubts.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow