Can the 6D handle a Wedding?

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Questions thread
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,317Gear list
Like?
The real question is:
In reply to kmckinnon, Jan 31, 2013

kmckinnon wrote:

I have done occassional portrait/graduation shoots with my 50D.

My current kit:
50D
Canon 85 1.8
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS
Canon EFS 10-22
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC
Tamron 18-270 VC

Canon 580EX II
Canon 430EX

I am being asked to shoot a wedding. This comes at a time when I am considering a the purchase of a FF camera for its better subject isolation and image quality. Because of $ I'm considering the 6D 24-105 kit. That would get me FF with a decent focal range. If I go with a 5D3 I'd most likely get the body only and sell the 3 DX lenses I currently own (10-22 and the Tammys) to get the 24-105.

This forum has made me well aware of the superior auto-focus of the 5D3. I've also seen many post that the 6D would make a good backup for a wedding photographer. Would it? Can the 6D AF handle slower moving subjects like the Bride and Groom moving up and down the aisle?
Would it be reasonable to get the 6D with the 24-105 and have that as a starting point? I'd then sell the DX lenses to finance something like the 16-35 or the 24-70. If I turn Pro I'd purchase a 5Dx and still have the 6D for backup.

-- hide signature --

kmckinnon

Can youhandle a wedding? Seldom is gear the limiting factor.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow