Should I sell my last zoom and go all prime?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Raymond Cho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,086Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I sell my last zoom and go all prime?
In reply to Iisakki, Jan 31, 2013

I prefer priimes but I work slowly and would also get a second hand film medium format.  I shoot primes on both my Nikon dSLR and film SLRs too.  That is the way I like to work, no zooning, one FL and live with, 2 or 3 clearly distinct FLs and just photograph the couple of pictures.  If I was going travel with people I know and plan to do some portraiture, I would take one zoom like a 2.8 med zoom or a lighter lens if I neede that.  B/c they don't have the patience but OTOH if I was doing just a few shots with studio strobes and a portable battery pack, I may shoot primes.

I think it just depends how you work that's all.  I don't find the extra IQ that significant for myself, primes are pretty good nevertheless and at the end of the day the image is printed to a certain size.

Raymond Cho's gear list:Raymond Cho's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow