Small aperture diffraction.... let's see some!

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,888
Like?
Re: Small aperture diffraction.... let's see some!
In reply to Richie Beans, Jan 31, 2013

Richie Beans wrote:

My group response is that I understand what diffraction is and it's causes at small apertures, and I remember, from BITD, when lens reviewers in the magazines would magnify the detail of light coming through leaves in distant trees and highlight color fringes on high-contrast edges. Back then, that was a real, and viewable problem and myself had my own quasi-rules built on what I half understood.

I wonder if we aren't just reflexively adhering to some photography standard that is now obsolete. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that I could construct a test that resolves diffraction as a function of aperture, but if I have to kill a day to build a test that reveals micron-scale problems in extremely specific conditions, then I've wasted my time.

So....anyone have diffraction problems at small apertures?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction

You need to ask your question in the 'gear' forum where all the techno-weenies hang out. Anyway, in response to your question, diffraction is alive and well and will rear it's ugly head  once you reach the dla of your particular camera/sensor.  Note that you can shoot at correspondingly smaller apertures as the size of the sensor increases. You will start to see IQ degradation at f/11 with a crop sensor camera and f22 on a FF sensor.

Ironically, in the length of time it took you to write the above post you could have taken a photo at f/22 and compared it to an f/8 version of the same image.

Are you a gear-head or a photographer.  The buck stops with the print that you hold in your hands.

If you are the former then click the link above.

Bill

-- hide signature --

img7d

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow