Is the 17/1.8 snap-focus ring a gimmick?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,512Gear list
Like?
Is the 17/1.8 snap-focus ring a gimmick?
Jan 31, 2013

Hey kids,

I own the M. Zuiko 12/2.0 and have found the snap-focus ring to be only marginally useful for hyperfocal focusing because:

1) There are only three apertures marked (f5.6, f11 and f22), and of those the last one is useless because of diffraction (I would prefer f5.6, f8 and f11 markings).

2) The markings are not spaced far enough apart, which makes it difficult to make critical adjustments with the focus ring.

Matters appear to be worse with the 17/1.8.

According to one of the latest reviews, the lens "sets new records" for being useless at hyperfocal shooting. The reason is that the markings are simply too close together. Compared to the 12/2.0, they do indeed appear to be ridiculously close together.

I would be curious to hear from any 17/1.8 owners about their experiences with the snap-ring.

Personally, I think this lens has been over-engineered in regards to the metal body and snap ring. The result is that we have a standard prime of middling brightness and middling image quality at a premium price. Oly would have been better off making this thing plastic, like the superior 45/1.8, and selling it for $350.

Review here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Flepidi-photo.blogspot.be%2F2013%2F01%2Ftest-complet-de-lolympus-17-mm-f18-msc.html

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +12 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow