Anyone else tried the Fusion Drive hack?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
G1 User
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
Re: Anyone else tried the Fusion Drive hack?
In reply to Jen Yates, Jan 31, 2013

Jen Yates wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

It's not a hack. It's a feature in 10.8.

It's a hack. It's not something you can turn on, it's something you have to 'hack' into operation using information on the internet and a command line tools. When Apple allow you to switch it on using a preference pane you can go back to claiming it's not a hack.

Word of warning to the OP.

Time machine will get you so far but watch out for having time machine backing up data that's already been damaged by this hack.

I think your last comment is a very big concern. since the iMac is my primary system with over 25k of photos plus gigs of final videos, if some part of the file is damaged, I may never know for some time. By then, I may have propagated the bad files through out my backups and it and probably be too late. I had this happen on old PCs copying files from hard drives to hard drives. when the rated disk or memory error rate is 10 ^n, with that much data you will hit the error probability.

Until it is fully supported, I guess I keep it off my main system. BTW, it is not that easy to distribute files around between SSD and HD. Large iPhoto database, it won't split well between the two.

Thanks.

Al

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow