SSD drive for my photos - it's worth it, right?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
Re: SSD drive for my photos - it's worth it, right?
In reply to arie, Jan 31, 2013

Well I assume you mean that you want to increase the access times on the files you're working on.

You can do that, but remember SSDs are really not a cost effective means of actually storing or backing up media.  Plus you should know that doing a lot of writing back and forth to the SSD will meaningfully shorten it's life.  To keep things simple let's just say there are things Windows (7+) does to minimize the back and forth writing to an SSD for that reason.

I run an SSD but only as a system drive, using hard drives for the back and forth stuff.  Installing an SSD as a system OS drive should increase the speed of your PC substantially.  I personally wouldn't use it for media.  If you have no prior experience with an SSD I would dedicate one for your operating system first, then go from there.  You can always add another to store your pictures while you work on them...?

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow