flash advice for 7D?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,310Gear list
Like?
Re: flash advice for 7D?
In reply to part7111, Jan 31, 2013

Since you are going to be doing commercial work then you must have reliable equipment, and backups.  I happen to think that you are better off with high quality RF triggers like Pocket Wizards than with the 600EX-RT because the PWs can be used with other brands of flash.  With the 600EX-RT you are locked into the Canon proprietary RF trigger system.  PWs can be used with almost any brand of hot-shoe flash and many brands of studio strobes.

Several Sekonic flash meters even offer a PW trigger as an option and I strongly recommend you buy a good flash meter to help you control the multiple light sources.

My recommendation would be one or more 580EX II flashes with one or more 430EX II for off camera.  You may also want to add a number of smaller budget priced optical slave flash units to hide around a room to light selected areas.  Another trick is to replace a bulb in a light fixture with a small screw base optical slave studio strobe.  Examples of low cost optical slave hot-shoe flash units are.

Product Review: Neewer TT520 Speedlite Flash - Sam Rosenthal Photography | Blog:

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo Speedlite YN 460-II Flash Review (Manual Flash)

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II Manual Flash (Manual Flash)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/634757-REG/Morris_11162_11162_Digital_Bare_Bulb.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/121845-REG/Smith_Victor_690001_45_W_S_Screw_in_Strobe.html

Don't forget to get some sheets of various colored gels so your flash units can match ambient lighting.

Stands and umbrellas and/or softboxes are nice for giving you a broader fan of light than you get from a bare hot-shoe flash.  Don't forget some sand bags for the stands.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow