Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
santamonica812
Contributing MemberPosts: 818Gear list
Like?
Judge's Choice Awards: Viet Nam: Everything except portraits
Jan 31, 2013

There were some things that surprised me about this challenge.  Not a single image of Sapa??? Tons of Halong Bay (but, that's no surprise...the Bay certainly is damn spectacular).  And I did not get the voter turnout I had hoped for.  Not sure why . . . maybe the next challenge will reverse the downward trend on votes.

One or two people noted that some particular entrants did not vote.  How on earth could you tell this? . . . I'd love to know this secret, so that I can ensure that non-voters will be DQ'd.

Here were some of my favorites.  I decided to not pick more thanone from any particular location (I could easily have picked 3 or 4 just from Halong Bay.).  And I stayed away from ones that were close to environmental portraits, just b/c.

The mist created a mood that elevated this image over the typical flat-light daytime shot that often is present on the Bay.

Rivers, and people carrying heavy loads, are a common presence in Vietnam.  The angle of the walkway create both a sense of motion and tension in the image.

I love the drama of this shot.  A pity that the sky is blown out--it really detracts from the image.  Not sure how the photographer could have addressed this without using multiple images.  Maybe a graduated ND filter?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow