Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DavieK
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
F770EXR - lowest cost raw shooter?
Jan 31, 2013

In the UK, the F770EXR (at on year old) has recently joined the 600 and 660 at knock-down prices for refurbs and some new stock. When the 550 was new, I tested one for a magazine review, and almost liked it a lot, but it had weaknesses. At the end of last year an Irish vendor via Amazon had 600EXR models (with GPS) for under £100 but switched them for 660EXRs (no GPS) and then tried to claim it was a 'better model'. Got money back!

Last week Fuji themselves had a stack of refurbs - I suspect Jessop closure stock - and after using a discount code I paid £116 for a nice example of the 770EXR (with GPS) in white (for travel in sunny places where I don't like my cameras getting as hot as my coffee if I decide to sit outside - prefer them to stay as cool as my beer...)

Received today and briefly tested in gale force winds, not very fair the stabilisation. ACR raw conversion still not ideal, but better than JPEGs; lens extremely good at wide end (better than some MFT/NEX etc kit lenses wide open) and not bad at all at 500mm equivalent. Best ISO still 100... as ever. GPS far better than the 550; very accurate (within feet not yards) and fast to lock on.

Considering that I've been shooting with the Sony RX1 the last two weeks, and normally use much larger sensor cameras, you might wonder why I like this camera - GPS, pocketable, metal, extreme zoom range, raw files, good optical quality, good stabilisation.

It may also be the cheapest new small sensor digital with raw, at this sort of price.

David

Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow