buying the 45mm if you already have the 30mm

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
sixfootzero
Regular MemberPosts: 499
Like?
Re: buying the 45mm if you already have the 30mm
In reply to paulhome, Jan 31, 2013

I recently started using legacy glass on my NX (Minolta MC/MD lenses...) and have picked up a 28mm f/2.8, 45mm f/2, a 58mm f/1.4 and a 135mm f/2.8. (Combined, I spent about $110... ) I already have the 20-50, 30mm pancake and 50-200 zoom. I also shoot the old lenses on a Minolta 35mm camera too, so I have a whole pile of effective focal lengths to choose from. It is interesting to compare the behavior of the primes on FF versus NX...

I think the difference in focal length between 30 & 45 is significant. (I always think in terms of full frame, so you're looking at 45mm vs 68mm. Quite a jump.) To me it seems that I really have to jam the 30 into someone's face to get a tight portrait, or much bokeh for that matter, while I can maintain a more comfortable distance with the 45. Like the 30, it is still handy indoors. It's too wide to be a 'portrait lens' and will never deliver the blissful bokeh obliteration that many crave, but will provide appreciably more separation between subject and background.

Honestly, I think there's still a place for the 55mm f/1.4 too. Sure, there's already a 60 f/2.8, but that's a macro lens and the extra two stops would make a huge difference both in low light and in depth of field. I doubt anyone would confuse a 50mm f/2.8 macro lens and a 50mm f/1.4 prime for their old 35 mm camera...  (I totally agree with Paul's point about ease of manual focus.  Nailing focus with the 58mm f/1.4 is tricky stuff, while the 45 is a breeze.)

Looking at the typical range of prime lenses for 35mm (With NX nearest match in parentheses) you have 24mm (16) 28mm (20) 35mm (I don't ever see a 24mm prime happening.) 50mm (30) 85mm (60) 135mm (85) and 200mm (Would love to see a fast 135 some day.). In that lineup, the 45 is a bit of an oddball, but it does fill in a gap...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow