Creating the Impossible with Unusual Focal Length : SHOW YOURS!

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,001
Like?
Creating the Impossible with Unusual Focal Length : SHOW YOURS!
Jan 30, 2013

After a few days of just experimenting with the new little Rokinon 7.5mm FE, I decided to go out for a walk and start using the lens for real.

I came back with this image, that I thought might spark a nice idea for an image-sharing thread.

That is the (currently closed for renovation) Royal Museum of Fine Arts in Antwerp.

It looks like a large classical building behind a really really big pond, doesn't it?

Almost a bit like a reflecting pool in the tradition of this one (not my image, just shown for comparison purposes - found on "gallery.moeding.net"):

Well, actually, that pond in Antwerp is not really all that big.

It is a work of art, consisting of a brass base representing leaves or seaweeds, and it fills and empties itself with water every half hour or so, like a tidal basin.

You can get an idea of the actual dimension in this shot (again not mine, but shown here for comparison only - found on "antiquairs-antwerpen.be"):

Ain't it strange how using an extreme focal length can deceive us, pretty spectacularly?

The fisheye effect gives away that something is going on, but the deception would have been the same with a rectilinear ultra wide angle.

Picking a vantage point at the edge of the pool and using UWA, creates the illusion of the water being much larger than it actually is.

The opposite deception can occur with telephoto.

Any focal length much removed from the standard range, can create those alienating illusions.

I know you have done it.

So participate and show us how YOU have created the impossible perspective.

I'm already pleased if you show us your deceptive photo (of a landmark or whatever).

I would be even more pleased if you can include reference material to show a "normal" view.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow