Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,107Gear list
Like?
Re: Small sensor means MORE DOF vs XZ-2, MX-1 and X20
In reply to NIK11, Jan 30, 2013

NIK11 wrote:

Michael Meissner wrote:

If it is going to live in a pocket all of the time, it really needs to be weather sealed.

Really? My pockets keep out the weather!

Usually they do, but not always.

A few years ago, I went to a nearby town's celebration of its founding 350 years ago, and they had some US revolutionary war re-enactors create a typical battle between the British regulars, and the colonists. Unfortunately, it was alternating between heavy rain, and periods of no rain. They didn't have parking at the site, and had to have people take a bus to get to the show. On the bus ride in, I noticed I had forgotten to take out my Palm Pilot from my pocket. By the end of the day, the Palm Pilot was ruined, even though it never left my pocket.  My cell phone was fine.

My E-1 on the other hand took lots of great shots, both with the 14-54mm lens that I bought with the camera, and the 50-200mm lens that I had just purchased. The E-1 and my quartet of weather sealed lenses (and the E-3/E-5 that succeeded it) have been in many storms, Niagara Falls boat rides, and amusement park flume rides since then.

So yes, for me, the weather sealing is fairly important for a camera meant to be carried all of the time.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow