Comparing Nikon 16-85 VR and 18-55 on my D40.

Started Dec 7, 2009 | Discussions thread
Squirrel7
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
Re: some samples
In reply to Penny123, Jan 30, 2013

Penny123 wrote:

I have read the instrucitons for fine tuning and just wouldn't feel comfortable attempting that myself and I am not really wanting to seny my camera away at the moment. I am going to return it as I am not happy with the results for the cost of the lens... now I can decide whether to order another one for a final try and just give up and keep what I have. I was really enjoying the range of the 16-85 too.

Penny, you should definitely return the lens. You are not imagining things! If you search DPreview or elsewhere you will find a lot of people discussing this focus problem with this lens. Still, many others seem to get excellent copies. Hard to say what's going on, but I know first hand the problem exists.

I can definitely understand your not feeling comfortable adjusting the AF calibration yourself, but I will tell you that it is highly effective on the D40. FOr people that only use the center focus point, it's one of the smartes moves you can make! I adjusted mine. With one turn of a screw you can pretty much match up your camera to any lens you want so that you AF will be near perfect *if* you use that lens (or any other lens with the same calibration offset). If you do this in your case, however, you may match your 16-85, but then your other lenses will be out of focus.

The only way to do it perfectly is to send all the lenses and camera to Nikon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
??New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow