Legacy Lenses - the good... the bad... the ugly?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 653
Like?
Re: Missing my point?
In reply to Domagoj Batinic, Jan 30, 2013

Or not, there is no "inherently inferior" or superior. Symmetrical designs tend to have less linear distortion but more vignetting and softer corners. Retrofocus designs have more linear distortion but less light falloff and sharper corners. Symmetrical designs tend to do poorly on digital sensors compared to retrofocus designs, even when the sensors have corner microlenses like Leica. Few symmetrical designs are made any more, while modern retrofocus designs can take advantage of the latest design/materials/coating/assembly techniques.

It all depends what you're trying to do and what you're forming the image on.

tedolf wrote:

I think you are missing my point. Regardless of how the lens is mounted, retrofocus designs are inherently inferior to non-retrofocus designs. The retrofocus designs need more elements, stronger refractive index, etc.

Thus, in the standard and wide angle regimes, rangefinder lenses have an inherent advantage over SLR lenses from mounts with longish registration distances.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow