Pentax K-01 price drops.

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Twong
Regular MemberPosts: 407Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax K-01 price drops.
In reply to wildkat2, Jan 30, 2013

I doubt Pentax is selling below cost, I think there is still profit. Think about it, you can buy a fully functional laptop with reasonable processor, storage and display for $200 and the manufacturers still make money. I suspect K-01 is probably in the same situation. However, Pentax is "losing" money when compared to the original business plan that calls for higher selling price and higher profit margin.

People who are flocking to FF should realize how much they are financing the big camera companies.

wildkat2 wrote:

You already got me to order it once but since it hasnt shipped I almost bought it again out of instinct!

I too would like to know what is going to happen to the K-01. Its not officially discontinued so i assume its still in production.

Lets assume Pentax is not losing money selling it at its current price. Lets further assume that some portion of the R&D plus marketing was paid for by early adopters. If Pentax could sell a K-02 at a profit in the $300-350 range body only, under $450 with a kit lens they might have a real winner.

"K-3" - full frame for $2000

K-5 II - APS-C for $1100

K-30 - Entry Weather Resistant - $700

"K-02" - Entry DSLMirrorless - $400

That would be a killer product line. Good, Better and Best with either the FF or Mirrorless option being a separate category.

-- hide signature --

Very happy K5 & K200 owner!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ksuwildkat/

Twong's gear list:Twong's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow