A true D700 successor: D600 sensor in D800 body ... and fur gods sake, leave the damn video out!!!

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
kb2zuz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,196Gear list
Like?
It's not if they can make it
In reply to jfriend00, Jan 30, 2013

It's if people will buy it. I absolutely agree with the D300s. The technology has improve drastically and it's due for an update. The D700 has two problems. First is that the sensor in it is still VERY good, yes the D4 and D600 are improvements over it but not nearly as much as the D300s to the D7000 or D5200 sensors. The second issue the D700 has is it's a $3,000 camera. Not everyone upgrades a $3,000 camera every 3 years. It's more reasonable to upgrade a $1,500 camera every 3 years. I'm not saying no one will buy a D700 upgrade, but I'm saying it might not be enough to make it worthwhile without charging rather high price. I do think there are a lot more people who would buy a D400.

The nature of the business means that in order to keep a camera at a reasonable price you need to sell a lot of them. A D4 has some really cool technology in it, but the parts and labor definately doesn't mean it should cost twice as much (or more) as a D800. The reason a D4 costs so much is they sell far fewer of them that they need to make a much higher profit per camera. If they can wait until enough people are clamoring for a D700 upgrade, then they can make it much cheaper. People on the Canon side complained drastically how much more the 5D Mk III cost compared to the D800. It clearly wasn't because of the parts. It's because a number of Canon's users wanted a high speed system, but not nearly as many who wanted a 5D Mk II so they weren't going to sell in nearly the numbers they had before, so the cost went up. In 2-3 years the difference between the D700 and what they can make then will be drastic enough that a lot of people will buy it and keep the price at a reasonable amount and not $5,000

-- hide signature --

\~K

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow