Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nightwings
Forum ProPosts: 10,322
Like?
D7000 - 1/60 ~ 1/100 Shutter Slap - My story
Jan 30, 2013

Just a reminder and a heads up for those of you who have not run across this yet.

I had known about the shutter slap issue, but it had been so long since I dealt with it..I had completely forgotten about it.

I was doing some indoor testing for a new lens I got... 18-300VR - Which by the way if you get a good copy ... like I did.. is an excellent piece of glass... albeit heavy. But anyway, that's another thread.

I was playing around with it.. and comparing it to my 50 1.8D .. 18-105.. 70-300.

For these comparison.. I was shooting at wall mounted focus charts... Objects with fine detail etc. Tripod mounted... exposure delay mode... remote release.... ALL that good stuff. Happy that my new lens did as well... and/or better than my existing lenses (certain FL's.. settings..etc) I then began to do some hand held shooting. So having just finished with shooting at the charts etc.... and pixel peeping ... The images and how sharp they should be were fresh on my mind. So I start whacking off some hand held shots at the same test charts, and other targets around the house using the flash. My flash shutter speed was at 1/60. I was a little disappointed with the results... needless to say. Some where "ok"... others mediocre.. but none were sharp.

So on a whim.. I took the lens and mounted it on my daughters D5100....which her cam is also set for a flash shutter speed of 1/60. That's when a WTF moment occurred. The D5100 shots were bang on tack sharp.... all the time.. shot after shot after shot. So (yeah I know.. I wasn't REALLY thinking) I thought it could have been inconsistencies with the lens... So I tried my 70-300 on the D7000 ... same thing... some "ok" shots.... but none were as sharp as the test shots I took...... yet..... when put on the D5100 ... same results... bang on tack sharp... shot after shot after shot. Remember.. these are all flash shots. So now I'm getting frustrated .... as I got the same results with the rest of my lenses.Then I start doubting the D7000's AF ..... more shots.... more time wasted. I then try some shots in quiet mode. Behold... all was good in the world again. Shots were tack sharp.... bang on shot after shot. It was from that moment that it took me about 5 to 10 minutes of testing that the problem all along was having the shutter set to 1/60 ~ 1/100 ... which caused mirror slap blur. I was able to get tack sharp results at 300mm with 1/30 shutter speed! But as soon as wandered in 1/60 ~ 1/100 territory.. everything fell apart.

You may want to test your cams.. but my D7000 has shutter slap induced blur 1/60 ~ 1/100. In that range I will use quite mode going forward. You may not notice the blur unless you pixel peep.

Good news for you D5100 owners..... that model suffers from ZERO shutter slap induced blur.

By the way... say hello to my little friend.

My new Do-It-All travel companion.

-- hide signature --

Nikon AF - One Shot ..... One Kill

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow