Any Former Olympus Shooters? Have E-PM1, Considering Cheap V1 Kit

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bill Rees
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
Re: Any Former Olympus Shooters? Have E-PM1, Considering Cheap V1 Kit
In reply to larrytusaz, Jan 30, 2013

I sold my E-PM1 and three lenses after I got the V1 and FT-1. It made a lot more sense to me since I have a D5100, D700 and a lot of Nikon glass.  I'm also a video shooter and the video output of the E-PM1 is unusable with the horrible rolling shutter.

High ISO out of the V1 is a close match to the older, Olympus sensor, IMO. Autofocus is unmatched by the V1. I'm also a fan of the Olympus JPEG's but I've found that I can easily obtain a look close to the OOC JPEG's in Lightroom.

I'm surprised that you are a fan of shooting landscape with the PEN since I always found the dynamic range seriously lacking. I tend to use my D700 and ultra-wide zoom for that.

That said, I think the E-PM2 is definitely better in IQ than the V1 and there are a ton more lens options.

Bill Rees's gear list:Bill Rees's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow