Oly 75-300 Mk II in March

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,758Gear list
Like?
Re: It can't be much better than the "old" 75-300.
In reply to DLBlack, Jan 30, 2013

DLBlack wrote:

it would be great to see a 12-60 f2.8-4.0. I really don't expect to see such a lens until the OMD-pro is released late this year. I would also love to see a 60-250 f2.8-4.0 to pair up with the 12-60.

I would love a lens like that as well. I currently have a Nikon 300mm f/4 I sometimes use on m4/3, but an autofocus zoom would be nice. I've considered the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5. Yes a lens like this will be larger, heavier, and more expensive. However it will also be a fast lens with a tripod collar and autofocus that still weighs in as far more portable than a full frame DSLR lens that covers the same angles of view.

I have two lenses that are slower than 5.6 at their long end and having use them for a while I am not going to buy any more lens slower than 4.0. This is about were diffration begins in MFT.

Dave

My understanding was that diffraction doesn't really become an issue for m4/3 until you go beyond f/8 (although this can be a bit subjective and be influenced by subject, print size and viewing distance).

I have many 13x19 prints from m4/3 taken at f/8 that look excellent, but I usually find f/5.6 gives me the depth of field I need for a landscape...and for a lot of photos I shoot between f/1.7 and f/4.  I also have f/11 shots taken when I needed enormous depth of field or slower shutter speeds, and they look just fine but I can detect some softness compared to f/8.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow