Oly 75-300 Mk II in March

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,132Gear list
Re: It can't be much better than the "old" 75-300.
In reply to DLBlack, Jan 30, 2013

DLBlack wrote:

it would be great to see a 12-60 f2.8-4.0. I really don't expect to see such a lens until the OMD-pro is released late this year. I would also love to see a 60-250 f2.8-4.0 to pair up with the 12-60.

I would love a lens like that as well. I currently have a Nikon 300mm f/4 I sometimes use on m4/3, but an autofocus zoom would be nice. I've considered the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5. Yes a lens like this will be larger, heavier, and more expensive. However it will also be a fast lens with a tripod collar and autofocus that still weighs in as far more portable than a full frame DSLR lens that covers the same angles of view.

I have two lenses that are slower than 5.6 at their long end and having use them for a while I am not going to buy any more lens slower than 4.0. This is about were diffration begins in MFT.

My understanding was that diffraction doesn't really become an issue for m4/3 until you go beyond f/8 (although this can be a bit subjective and be influenced by subject, print size and viewing distance).

I have many 13x19 prints from m4/3 taken at f/8 that look excellent, but I usually find f/5.6 gives me the depth of field I need for a landscape...and for a lot of photos I shoot between f/1.7 and f/4.  I also have f/11 shots taken when I needed enormous depth of field or slower shutter speeds, and they look just fine but I can detect some softness compared to f/8.

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow