SSD drive for my photos - it's worth it, right?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris Doc
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Re: SSD drive for my photos - it's worth it, right?
In reply to arie, Jan 30, 2013

arie wrote:

Whenever I process RAW photos it takes a long time and my guess is that it would take a lot less time with an SSD drive. Does anyone else use one for their photos? For under $200, it seems like it's worth the extra speed.

OCZ Agility 240g

ADATA XPG 256g

-- hide signature --

1500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you knew that people were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. -MIB

The links you gave are for laptop SSDs.  Are you using a laptop?

Usually you would configure your SSD to be your operating system (OS) drive and have a large capacity hard drive to hold your pictures.  Laptops don't typically have 2 hard drives slots.  So I'd say that if you have a laptop and only have space for 1 hard drive then I wouldn't recommend an SSD because it won't be large enough to hold all of your photos.

If you do have a laptop with only 1 hard drive I'd suggest you take a look at backup solutions before you look at SSDs.  (Assuming that you are a photo enthusiast and have a lot of invaluable data on your hard drive.)  Hard drives are usually the 1st thing to go on computers so you should have some sort of backup solution.

I run a desktop system w/ 8 GB of RAM, a 240 GB SSD as an OS drive, a 1 TB media drive for photos, videos and music and a 1 TB backup drive that syncs the media drive and selected files on the OS drive nightly.

But if you already have a solution in place to handle your media then I would suggest getting an SSD.  They are the single best upgrade you can make to your computer.  You can't do anything else to your computer for that price that will give you a better performance increase.  There is no difference in time of starting a new program and minimizing a program that is already open.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow