DSTE D800 grip D.O.A

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,370Gear list
Like?
Re: DUH!
In reply to str8pipe, Jan 30, 2013

str8pipe wrote:

Yeah, I never expected a battery grip to have it's own ON/OFF switch. I was happier to to find out that was just the problem instead of having to wait for a replacement. The happy feeling was also stronger than the brief dumb feeling lol.

I've had Nikon OEM grips for years, so I don't recall my initial reaction to the switch.  I do know that it's easy to forget about it and either try to take photos when it's locked or forget to lock it and end up with photos you don't want, and/or the camera acts funny when you're viewing the menus or reviewing shots.

I had purchased a cheap batttery grip for my D300 a few years ago that stayed on the camera no longer than 15 minutes and couldn't beleive I had spent money on such a foolish thing. I figured I would give this one a chance just to get the extra fps and remove it as soon as it won't be needed. The DTSE may have changed my mind, I didn't get to use it very much but it does have a nice fit, feels pretty sturdy and the wheel tuirns in the right direction.

We all have different levels of what is acceptable or not, I'm pretty fussy and I doubt you will be disappointed. Heck, I paid less for the grip, en-el18, 2 trays, plus car and wall charger than as if I would have purchased just a single en-el15 here in Canada. I see little reason for disapointment.

That's good to know.  Having never seen a 3rd party grip, I don't really know what to expect. So long as it works properly for a couple of years or so, I'll be satisfied. I could buy 4 of these,  for the cost of 1 OEM grip, so there's a real disconnect with Nikon on this one.

thanks

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow