Please tell me I am correct & the pro Is wrong???

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
THE ultimate answer (with technical and visual info)
In reply to happysnapper64, Jan 30, 2013

happysnapper64 wrote:

I read a thread a week or so ago, & thought I had at last got the understanding of the difference between an image taken with a crop v FF. It was a "Eureka" moment for me, or so I thought. The difference, I learned, was in the FIELD OF VIEW, & NOT the focal length. That a 70-300 was a FOCAL LENGTH of 70-300 on both, but the FF allowed a WIDER view of the scene but NOT a longer view, eg. it didn't make the subject appear closer. Right, to the point. I have just been reading a UK photography mag which was testing various 70-300's. Reading the review of the Tamron it read, "The lens gives a FOCAL LENGTH of 110-420 on a crop frame camera". Please put me right, it is the FOV that changes, right? NOT the focal length? If I am correct, it is no wonder us newbies have a hard time getting to grips with things, when the pro's & teachers can't explain it propperly.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

This is THE answer (it's succinct, easy to understand and accurate): http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50766147

Regards,

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow