How do you frame night time, long exposure shots?

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,108Gear list
Like?
Re: How do you frame night time, long exposure shots?
In reply to Vcize, Jan 30, 2013

Along with the other good methods mentioned, it also depends on your camera - some cameras that offer live view functionality (whether P&S, mirrorless, or DSLR) offer the ability to gain up the display in low light to simulate the exposure settings you've chosen.  So if you've selected a big aperture, and a long shutter speed, the display, though a bit grainy, can still show you the scene even when you can't see anything through an optical finder or even the naked eye.

You just need to make sure your camera's live view mode either does exposure simulation or offers such a mode.  Nikon traditionally has not on their DSLRs, but may in some of their other models - Canon & Sony typically have always offered this in their live view modes.  Check your camera's live view functionality to be sure, or check the camera settings to see if there is a mode that can be turned on for this.

I find I always switch my DSLR to live view and take advantage of this when I'm doing long-exposure night shots, as it's so much easier to frame and focus a shot in extreme darkness...it's like a night vision scope - I can see stuff I cannot discern with my naked eye.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow