Started Jan 26, 2013 | Questions thread
krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 933Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X question
In reply to howardroark, Jan 30, 2013

howardroark wrote:

Lmendy wrote:

I am considering the purchase of the G1X. Years ago I owned several G cameras and enjoyed using them. I have done some research and I like what I have seen in regards to image quality with this camera. I like the swivel LCD and generally it would suit my needs. I am not crazy about some of these smaller cameras. I prefer something a little more substantial in my hands, but something I will not mind lugging around all day.

I enjoy the G1 X for exactly that reason. I put a wrist strap on the camera because the neck strap gets in the way when using the articulating LCD for unusual angles.

My biggest concern is autofocus. I rarely if ever shoot sports (and I have DSLR for that). I generally shoot outdoors in good light. I do shoot in museums (where you cannot use a tripod or flash) and other interiors (restaurants, stores etc). Generally these locations are well lit, but obviously, I will be shooting at higher iso.

Autofocus is not that bad. People may compare it to this camera or that one, but most of the time they're basing that comparison strictly on cost. This camera has the performance of a standard point and shoot (like the G12 since the G15 has been sped up while losing some other features to slim it down and keep it cheaper) but was originally released at the price of some ILC's or cheap DSLR's. Now that it's around $600 people seem to have backed off the "for this price I expected more" nonsense. How about we argue that for a point and shoot I can't believe how awesome the image quality, both due to lens and sensor, is?

I have read that the G1X auto focus is terrible, but I always take reviews with a grain of salt. I know that folks generally get use to or develop work arounds with the weaker parts of camera handling. Also, the reviews were written when the G1X was first released and if Canon has developed some firmware upgrades to improve the auto focus, it would certainly help in my decision process.

Anyway, it may not always lock focus super fast, but it will lock on and accurately. Using different settings autofocus will often lock pretty darn quickly in good light and reasonably fast in low light.

I agree exactly with this.

Insanely good image quality and great low light performance in a small, solid, easy to operate camera.

Krugman

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow