D3x Price

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gary Zuercher
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Re: D3x Price
In reply to Jane79, Jan 30, 2013

I have stayed with my D3x mainly because of the ruggedness, build quality and image quality. I also have a D700 as a back-up body, but that body (similar to the D800) doesn't have the battery life of the D3x without the add-on battery pack. I don't trust the add-on battery packs since I had trouble with moisture getting into the space between the camera body and battery pack in more extreme conditions. Obviously an event shooter might not have these problems in mild conditions.

I will typically shoot 7-10 thousand images in a three day trip (all HDR with seven shots 1-2 stops apart by varying the shutter speed). I do see a lot of D800s during my location shoots and most folks seem to like them, but I doubt many shooters have the disk space for 10,000 images. A D3x image is about 29 MB versus the D800 at 45-70MB so your storage fills up very fast and the post-processing requires more time to load, etc. It will be interesting to see what the D4x will be like as to the resolution. I imagine the file sizes will be quite large if Nikon goes to 48-70 megapixels.

Regards,
Gary Z.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow