Tamron 14-150 for m43!!

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,389
Like?
Re: Great! I need a new paperweight!
In reply to Dheorl, Jan 30, 2013

It's not a rant at all, but I did deal with your point in my opener - there is almost no lens that won't be useful to someone, and someone clambering over an ice cliff may well find it very ideal.
However in practice I bet you most of these lenses get flogged to people who would have been much better off with a superzoom bridge camera by slimy salesman upping their commissions through selling more expensive kit. 
Lenses this slow are very limiting, and rarely do what the mug punter thinks he wants.
The point of an interchangeable lens camera is to change lenses, so whacking a one-lens-does-all solution on the front rarely works well, and a bigger sensor is only worthwhile when it isn't coupled with a slower lens.  Otherwise, what you gain on the swings, you lose on the roundabouts.

Dheorl wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

There's an assumption here that is plain wrong: that bigger sensors give better IQ. They don't. They do high ISO better, but that advantage is negated by the slowness of the lens. They have better DR, but that only affects people like me who do heavy PP.
If you take a 12MP OOC JPG at base ISO from a full frame camera, an APS-C camera, an MFT camera, and a compact, print them huge, and ask people to examine them and spot the difference, all with lenses of equal quality, they will see no inherent difference (the individual cameras will vary of course).
Pack in the big sensor worship. Increasing the size of the sensor (within reason) is only useful if:
* You will push the RAW photo in post.
* You are shooting above base ISO.
* You want subject separation.
The first is unlikely with this class of lens.
The second is negated by the sloth of the lens.
If the third matters, this is the wrong lens anyway..

amtberg wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Wayneb123 wrote:

Some people like to print photos larger than a postcard and compact cameras with tiny sensors suck for that, this lens will work well for video also.

Why do you think a 16MP MFT camera with a dog slow superzoom will be better for printing large photos than a 16mp bridge camera with a 10x zoom? What magic quality, at base ISO, do you think an MFT sensor brings to the party? And do you not see that in low light an f5.8 lens will need the ISO cranked right up, thus losing any noise advantage the MFT camera had? I normally sell 30X40 inch shots myself, and I won't be touching this thing with a 30 foot, rubber tipped, disinfected bargepole. Wearing gloves.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Lots of assumptions there. If someone is shooting in good light there will be no need to bump up ISO. If the lens is half decent it will produce better results than a compact. It will also provide better background separation even at relatively small apertures. This particular lens isn't very big. On a smaller MFT body it won't be much bigger than a super zoom digicam.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

I can't help but get the feeling you make a few too many assumptions about other peoples photogrpahy.

For starters have a quick flick through the comparison tool. I can't find a compact that has a fast enough lens to make up for the sensor size at high ISO (and I'm even comparing the GH2 seeing as that's what I have).

Secondly I shoot RAW and push and pull my photos all over the place, just like you do. Now try shooting as you do when roped up to 5 other people crossing a glacier... suddenly primes don't seem so smart. You may not ever do this, but you need to understand that not everyone shoots in the way you do.

Sorry, bit of a rant, but I can't help but feel the way you are talking is basically saying "Anyone who uses this lens clearly isn't concerned about maximum sharpness, and therefore isn't as good a photographer as me"

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow