Can anyone explain what curves does, and I also have questions about best processing methods.

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blogan
Contributing MemberPosts: 675
Like?
Can anyone explain what curves does, and I also have questions about best processing methods.
Jan 30, 2013

I'm using the latest Aperture. I shoot mainly jpgs. I don't like to sit behind the computer and deal with a lot of PP. I can get them pretty good from the camera.

What is the purpose of using curves? And I used to use iPhoto and noticed that if I used (I don't even know what to call it) the graph that was at the top of the adjustments window in iPhoto, if I used that for exposure and contrast, it seemed better than using the actual exposure slider, and the shadow slider for lifting shadows.

It just seemed to me that using the shadow slider (and this is iPhoto I'm talking about) and the contrast slider most times made the image look worse. So I would use that graph for brightening up or for contrast.

So in Aperture, will I find that pretty much the same. I haven't been able to make any comparisons yet.

I know I'm asking a lot of different questions at the same time. Basically I want to know if using the sliders is the best method or using the graphs is best for exposure and contrast. Oh and also what is and how do you use the curves.

Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow