Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,843Gear list
Like?
E-mount lens lineup update
Jan 30, 2013

After seeing the release news from Sigma, and the recent Sony eMount announcements which have been keeping to their roadmap so far, I looked back to a post I made about 6 months ago:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42079117

and wanted to just update the total lens lineup so far - just informational purposes as sometimes it can be useful to have all the lenses summarized in one place.

Here is the breakdown of eMount Autofocus lenses for the NEX cameras:

16mm F2.8 pancake

ECU-1 12mm UWA adapter

ECF-1 10mm fisheye adapter

18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS

18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS

30mm F3.5 macro

55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS

18-200mm F3.5-6.3 LE OSS

50mm F1.8 OSS

24mm F1.8 Zeiss

10-18mm F4 OSS

35mm F1.8 OSS

16-50mm F3.5-5.6 P OSS

18-200mm F3.5-6.3 P OSS

20mm F2.8 pancake

The last 5 were announced or released since the date of my last post - and kept to the roadmap so far - which is a good sign for future releases that were still listed on the roadmap.

Releases on the roadmap for 2013:

Middle telephoto

Mid-magnification zoom

High-performance standard zoom

If they stick with the last 3 on the roadmap, that will make for a total of 16 lenses released in 4 years (If you want to be sneaky, you could consider it 18 lenses, with the two ECU adapters delivering two additional focal lengths). That is on a similar pace to Olympus' M4:3 schedule (16 lenses in 5 years, including 2013 releases) and Panasonic (16 lenses in 5 years, through 2012). 4 of the M4:3 lenses I didn't count as they were discontinued models replaced by newer versions of the same lenses.

Just to keep a complete list of Autofocus eMount options, here too the third-party lenses current or announced:

Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3

Sigma 19mm F2.8 (new version coming soon)

Sigma 30mm F2.8 (new version coming soon)

Sigma 60mm F2.8

Total AF lenses for e-Mount stands at 17 with all announced or current lenses, and 3 more planned for 2013 on the roadmap would put them at 20 total at the end of the 4th year.

Of course I offer this as purely informational - just an update of what AF lenses are available or planned soon for the eMount. Surely there are holes in the lineup for certain people who wish for specific lenses for their own needs - and hopefully more of those holes will be filled as we go along. And hopefully some who are curious about NEX or considering them and seeing the many historical and current threads that mention the meager lens lineup, and who can't find any specific list of all the AF lenses that are available or planned, might find this post to be useful or informational.

If I've missed any lenses, I'd be happy to be corrected or updated, and any discussion of current lenses, planned lenses, or hoped-for lenses is also welcome.

As a birder, I'll even throw in my hopes that we might see a longer telephoto - something possibly like a 100-300mm F4-6.3 OSS to get a little more reach but keep the lens reasonably small!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
:-)New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow