Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,658
Like?
D5200 vs Panasonic GH3 - Weather Sealing
Jan 30, 2013

The question I pose for the forum is in the last paragraph. But allow me to layout the background for my inquiry here. For some time I've been lurking in the Micro 4/3s (a.k.a. MFT) forum, contemplating a MFT system. Last fall I sold my D700 along with the so-called "f/2.8 triology" of Nikkor lenses that combined weighed over 9 pounds and represented about $7K. I just don't want to carry that much weight on hikes when I like to shoot landscapes or whatever. I'm recently retired and getting up in years. I have kept my D300 and a small collection of DX lenses for when I want reach for wildlife. The MFT was to be my lightweight system. Was ready to pull the purchase trigger .....

But wait !!!! The D5200 catches my eye. 24mp with a new sensor (that DxO claims) is better for higher ISO shooting. Improved AF and more AF cross points. Love the articulated LCD. The D5200 weighs almost exactly what a Pansonic GH3 does and is nearly the same size. The D5200 captures 24mp vs 16mp for the Pany. The D5200 has an external mic connection for video (big deal for me) as does the Pany GH3 (but not the preferred G5). The D5200 is about $500 cheaper. If I bought the D5200 and used the few DX lenses I already own, I save tons of cash not having to buy MFT lenses for a Pany (or Olympus).

But, the GH3 is weather sealed; the D5200 is not. Will I regret the D5200 not being weather sealed? Have any of you had an issue with this (knowing the D5200 has hardly hit the US markets yet)? I am really a "fair weather" shooter. I don't need to go out in the rain. That said, I live in Arizona and dust can be an issue for sure. If it's windy and dusty, I'm not shooting either. So, what else would I miss or what would I gain if my future lightweight (maybe lighter but not real lightweight) system was a D5200 versus a GH3? I know the GH3 is a hybrid and is bigger and heavier than the other MFT offerings. However, with big hands, I don't know how happy I'd be with a real small MFT rig. Is my thought process faulty here?

Nikon D300 Nikon D5200 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow