Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MrChristopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 696Gear list
Like?
Observations of Annie Leibovitz made me think about AF
Jan 30, 2013

I watched "Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens" the other night and marveled at how she relies on manual focus for her shots.  It was fascinating to watch her slowly turn the manual focus ring until she got the clarity she wanted and then took the shot.  I have virtually no experience with manual focus (other than limited macro work) so this was intriguing to me.

Leibovitz's reliance on manual focus also made me think about the current state of affairs with some people being disappointed in the less than DSLR AF speed of the x100 (and other models apparently).  For me AF speed is a convenience but it does not equate to good or better shots.

While I enjoy the super fast AF of my Sony a57 the perfectly adequate AF of my x100 has indeed slowed me down and the way I go about photography is evolving as a result of the x100.  I've been experimenting with pre-focus for some of my street work (thanks to what I learned in this forum) and now I want to try using the manual focus.  And I know all the horror stories about manual focus, I think that improved with firmware 1.3, but I want to explore it horrors or no horrors.

And I am not trying to suggest that those who are disappointed with the less than DSLR AF speed of the x100 should not be disappointed, I'm just observing that slow and deliberate can produce fantastic results as well.  Anyhow...

Cheers!

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow