I hate all of you, especially you RX1 people... !

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,095Gear list
Like?
I hate all of you, especially you RX1 people... !
Jan 30, 2013

Because of your constant harping on about the RX1 and all those bloody photos you insist on posting, I finally broke down and bought an RX1 today. Now I feel guilty and will have to help a charity to set the cosmos right again.

To be honest, I'm not sure it suits my current shooting style. But I bought it because I think the wide fixed lens may discipline me and force me to look at things differently. I love some of the images I see here and the work of pros such as Garry Winograd, but it's a very different style from what I'm used to. So I'm hoping that this camera--with it's incredible built quality and beautifully detailed images--will push me to new ways of seeing. Hope it's been a good use of a bag of money.

Anyway, when I got home with my empty wallet, I decided to do a walk around my neighbourhood to try out the new cam. Some images below... nothing really outstanding, so I definitely will need some time to learn this thing.

My three initial reactions:

1. The thing is damn slippery in the hands, especially the same basic body style as the RX100 but is significantly heavier (I've also attached a Franiec grip to the RX100 ... wish Sony had put a similar ridge on the RX1)
  2. I haven't got the 'wow' I was expecting from my RX1 images yet. Not like when I first got my a900 or even my RX100. Maybe it's a mood thing... maybe next time I take it out I'll be bowled over. I hope so....
  3. The AF is pretty bad. Well, at least it seems worse than the RX100, which I don't understand. Maybe someone will educate me.

Here are some shots from near my place.

Yeah, I went a little mad on the processing with this one ... just for the fun of it

In-cam pano from my balcony

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow