RGBaker
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex-6 and the Minolta MC Rokkor PG 85mm f/1.4 lens - A few Photos
In reply to Letsgokoulos, Jan 30, 2013

Letsgokoulos wrote:

fabianbono wrote:

The pics are not out of focus.

He use a wide open apperture, so DOF is very short and the focus area range as well.

He focus on dog's eyes, and the rest of the dog head is already out of the focus area.

Fabian, I think I have a fair idea of what a shallow DoF is. I also know that the focus was meant to be on the dog's eyes.

I think some of the pictures are not properly focused and the 58mm f1.4 seems to be quite soft (was it wide open?), which certainly does not help focussing.

I am not trying to be mean or either aggressive in any way, I am just stating what I see. The OP asked for comments, not for congratulations...
And my comments were not purely negative, the pictures are nicely framed and the last one is great.

Pictures do not always have to be tack sharp to be nice.

Marc

I think if you view the photo closely you will find that the eyes are in focus, and that the plane of focus also causes some of the whiskers and chest to be in focus also.  A 'soft' lens is a different comment -- even a soft lens has a point of focus.  As others here have hinted, a very shallow DOF can be problematic for 'portrait' work, even of dogs -- when you have to chose between focussing on an iris or focussing on an eyelash, you might want to consider stopping down a bit!
You did commend the framing, but also suggested that the photographer could have picked a different point of focus -- I'd suggest they'd have been better picking a different aperture, but I realize that part of the 'fun' of a 1.4 lens is playing with a razor thin plane of focus.  I've been guilty of the same ...

Cheers,
GB

RGBaker's gear list:RGBaker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow