Does one software program, or another, work better with Canon images

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Questions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,787Gear list
Like?
Re: Just downloaded a trial of capture one 7...
In reply to schmegg, Jan 30, 2013

schmegg wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Sunpilot wrote:

curlyone wrote:

Bite the bullet, Just get Photoshop CS5 or 6, and forget the rest, they are only pretenders.

I notice a lot of people use Lightroom. You're saying Photoshop works better?

CS6 with ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) is $699. LR is $149. A lot of opinions are swayed by these facts. But yes, LR is a crude instrument compared to CS6. The LR interface is completely whack as if people bright enough to learn the principals of photography and DSLRs can't figure out how to manage files on the Windows platform.

Gee Rick - I, for one, would disagree with you there. I suspect there are many others that do too.

It depends what you wish to do, but LR will do most of what photographers need plus many things that PS and ACR don't.

For example?

Virtual Copies, Snapshots, Direct publishing ....

Plenty of things that may be important - depending on your needs.

I use virtual copies and snapshots all the time - and even though I also use PS for some tasks, if I had to pick just one I'd choose LR as it covers most of everything I need in one integrated package, and all for a fraction of the cost of the PS alternative.

Okay, though PS CS6 doesn't have Snapshots, it does have Save As.  I am sure that all Snapshots does is save multiple versions of xmp files.

One of the many things I like about PS is it retains the Windows conventions File  Open Save etc while  giving one the option of loading Bridge and using this alternative to file management instead. To my knowledge, you can't turn that stuff off in LR. I was criticized for the comment regarding "the whack interface" but this was a jab at Adobe, not the users of LR. I do not believe folks are drawn to LR for file management. On the one hand, Adobe markets LR as a one-stop solution for photographers, and on the other hand, well... see my post below in the section regarding LR vs. PS. I REALLY do believe that folks who are able to master the principles of photography and the sometimes complicated operations of their cameras are smart enough to manage files on their own.

The question on the table wasn't a desert island scenario i.e. pick just one. I probably wouldn't answer such a question. The OP behaved as if he might be interested in PS without bias to price. For someone with that mindset, I condensed the multiple lists of stuff I posted in another response into a simple, easy to picture analogy that stands on its own merit (considering the aforementioned lists) and tailored for folks who desire to have the most complete set of tools at their disposal (even though they may not use every bit of it every day). My philosophy extends to the cameras and lenses I use as well. I have some price considerations myself but those really wouldn't be on-topic here.

The few people who have had a strong reaction to my statement actually have said they also own and use PS. Not trying to imply anything directly to any one person, but I would vigorously recommend at least one year of membership to NAPP. In just one year, I went from "I dislike this program, is my copy of DPP  updated?" to "I look forward to opening PS (even if I don't have anything to process)".

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DPPNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow