Dance Photography - camera for fast action and low light

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
DWEverett
Contributing MemberPosts: 555Gear list
Like?
Re: Dance Photography - camera for fast action and low light
In reply to MIngegneri, Jan 30, 2013

Depends how much money you want to invest.  The camera you have is old enough that moving to any of the current models would give you an improvement you would notice.  The cheapest approach is to stick with Olympus and continue to use your current lens.

Size does matter for high iso pictures though so moving up to an APS-C or even FF would improve things even more.  If you are considering switching systems, look at your current pictures and see what range of focal lengths you are really using.  A 70-200 f2.8 would be what a lot of folks would probably look at for this but on a FF body that's quite a bit shorter than what you are experiencing today.

If it was me, I'd probably look at either a newer Olympus body or something like the Nikon D7000 or Canon 7D.  For the latter two, I'd look for a good condition non-stabilized used lens since you don't really need that when you are using high shutter speeds

DWEverett's gear list:DWEverett's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow