Started Jan 25, 2013 | Questions thread
PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,578
Like?
Re: Filters not a real issue.. if you're serious
In reply to qianp2k, Jan 30, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

PicOne wrote:

Not sure I'd agree on the "takes filters" requirement. Yes, filters are used from time to time in wide angle landscape photography.. However, amongst serious landscape wide/ultrawide shooters, these filters more often than not are GNDs.. for which a filter thread is worthless, and you'd be using a Lee/Cokin type setup anyway. Polarizers are kinda strange on UWAs, creating uneven blue skies. NDs work, but again, if you're prepared to use a GND, you're prepared to not have to use a threaded filter anyway.

Just want to point that Cokin/Lee setup still needs to screw-in a ring adapter on the lens before you can mount the holder. So if a lens such as Canon 17 TS-E has sphere front that blocks the adapter you will not be able to use Cokin/Lee filters also. It seems Tokina 16-28/2.8 also has a sphere front so it may not able to use filters. Personally I didn't use 17-40L much as 24mm is wide enough most times. I prefer photo stitching than UWA. For architecture and the scene that not suitable for stitching I will use my newly acquired 17 TS-E that complements to also relative new 24-70L II well.

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

-- hide signature --

Didn't realize Tokina 16-28 doesn't have a filter thread at all.  In these instance, presuming tripod is used, many would just hold a GND/ND glass in front.

Otherwise, did stumble on this:

HiTech Filter Holder

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow